Prerequisites for studying for non-EU citizens

If you want to study at a German institution of higher education, you need to prove advanced level German language skills. Most institutions require skills corresponding to level C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) for languages. The CEFR divides language skills into six levels ranging from A1 (beginner) to C2 (near – native proficiency). You can learn more at CEFR.

To study in Germany, you need a secondary school-leaving certificate that is recognized as corresponding to the German “Abitur.” You can find out if your diploma is recognized in Germany in the database of the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs.

If your secondary school diploma is recognized as corresponding to the German Abitur, you can apply directly to a German institution for higher education. If this is not the case, the Studienkolleg provides you with the prerequisites for ongoing study in your chosen field through targeted preparation.

Most non-EU citizens will also need a visa. Furthermore, you need to prove that you are covered by health insurance, and that you can finance your cost of living for the duration of your studies.

This website uses cookies and third party services. Ok